carmen's jots

i have selective amnesia... i need a blog to tell me what i did... i am proud... i need a blog to record my milestones... hah!

Thursday, February 09, 2006

The V day

I just came back from The Curve. Today was a happy day for me...I got to meet up with my SAM classmates and my ex-classmates all on the SAME day. Was in One Utama to meet up with Cheng Chuan, Chris, Denise, Shoe, Heng, Mun Hoe, Lee Er and WeiWen. Had lunch at Sri Melaka (the bill was paid by Cheng Chuan...tq tq tq!), played watched foosball (the guys tried bash each other up ...total noobies), watched Big Momma's House 2, sat down at A&W to chit chat and catch up with each other. Well, i was totally entertained by them telling abt accidents that they've got themselves into (Cheng Chuan was very proud of the legacy he left behind at Taylor's which I didn't know until now) ...harhar, some things never change. For instance, Cheng Chuan is still the pervert who checks out girls 360 degrees and totally loves the idea of GSC having reflective tiles (for what...i just let you figure out), Shoe being the Mr. Gelabah...who sneezes rice out of his nose (ew...), Chris and Denise being lovey dovey, whispering to each other and giggling afterwards, Mun Hoe with his cranky phone, WeiWen being Mr.Posh Rockstar with the wavy long hair, Lee Er being pretty with her long hair and Heng well, still a smoker like Cheng Chuan. It seems as if it were just yesterday that we all graduated from SAM and went to the SAM prom and all...how happy times fly.

Next stop was The Curve to meet up with my ex-Mawarians. It was actually meant as a farewell thingy for both Yoong Xiong and Michelle who will be going off to Australia real soon. (YX on Feb 14 and Michelle on Feb 15) There were altogether 7 of us, YX, Michelle, Simon, Leonard, Colin, Vishnu and me. I took a cab from OU and was there early...so I decided to walk around. Instincts led me to Borders Bookstore (or rather my geekiness and love for books did, keke) and I totally loved the lounge music they were playing, comfy chairs and warm lightings so, I got a book (Forecast for Sagittarians, Year 2006) and propped onto a chair, started reading to kill time. YX and Michelle were there after I flipped through a few pages and were surprised that I was there (no one told me that we were supposed to meet there...hmmm, my instincts have finally brought me to the right place at the right time? Lol) Met up with the rest and we had dinner at Thai Express...nothing compared to Singapore's (the food taste better there). We all took tons of wuliao pics there (to be posted once YX sends them to me...wont' be so soon. Haha) Took more pics at the concourse area where the CNY deco were set up. Walked a bit more and then headed home. Well, that's for just the girls (Michelle and me) cos the boys were off to SS2 to do...guess what? Well, none other than play Dota at Horus itself! Ah, Dota and boys...it's a complicated relationship, Dota is the mistress to guys in relationships and lovers to those single. They cannot be separated...they are intertwined until something BIGGER and BETTER come out...WoW is suppose? Well, they are not my cup of tea, I don't get it so, I don't bother.

Hmmm...Valentine's day is coming.
What plans have you little girls and guys planned for your loved ones?
For me...since I'm flying solo, it's going to be another passing day. Never recall that Valentine's in my previous years being special...so no expectations for this year as well. But to all of you out there celebrating this day...Happy Valentine's Day in advance and hope that both parties cherish the true meaning of this day.

"The romantic festival of Valentine's Day is said to have originated in pagan times in Rome when people celebrated annual fertility festival called Feast of Lupercalia in mid-February. A unique custom of the festival was the mating of young boys and girls for a year through a lottery system. Quite often the couple would fall in love and marry.

Strongly associated with the festival of Valentine's Day are the legends of three or more Saint Valentine of Rome. One of the most popular legends says, Valentine or Valentinus lived in Rome when the country was under the reign of Emperor Claudius II. It is said that Claudius engaged Rome in several unpopular and bloody campaigns. To maintain a strong army, Claudius continuously needed to recruit soldiers. But to his disappointment Claudius found that most men were unwilling to join army because of their strong attachment with their wives and their families. To get rid of the problem, Claudius banned all marriages and engagements in Rome. A romantic at heart priest, Valentine, secretly arranged marriages of young boys and girls and defied this unjustified and callous order of Claudius. When the Emperor discovered this defiance, he put Valentine behind bars and he was finally executed on February 14, about 270 AD. For his great service, Valentine was named a saint after his death.

By Middle Ages, Saint Valentine became the patron saint of love and lovers in England and France. In 498 AD, when Pope Gelasius decided to put an end to pagan celebration of Feast of Lupercalia, he declared that 14th February be celebrated as St Valentine's Day.

Some scholars however, say, romance was linked with Valentine's Day because of the popular belief in England and France during the Middle Ages that birds began to start looking for their mate from 14th February."

Source: http://www.stvalentinesday.org/valentines-day.html
So, St. Valentine died because he supported love and romance...hmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home